Installing Software Updates
As of September 2005, all software updates are released
as a .zip with a single .exe file. The .exe contains both the Sniffter Software
Updater program and the Sniffter software file.
The Sniffter Software Update program makes
use of the existing "Update Sniffter SW" interface by having your computer
emulate another Sniffter.
To use it, download any of the software updates available
on the sniffter.com support page. Unzip the archive
and run the enclosed .exe file.
Enter your 6-digit Sniffter serial number when prompted to download the file.
Steps to install software updates:
- Download a software update from the support page
and unzip it.
- Connect the serial port on the Sniffter to a 9-pin serial port on your
PC using the silver cable (standard 6-conductor) and black (female) serial
- Turn on the Sniffter, and select "Update Sniffter SW" from
the main menu. Read the notice and press the right arrow to continue
- Launch the sniffter-v100.exe program on your PC (the v100 represents the
- You will be prompted to enter the COM port number corresponding to the
9-pin serial port you connected the Sniffter to in step 1.
- Your PC should find the Sniffter and display the current software
version on the screen. Press the right arrow on the Sniffter if you want
to install the new software.
- When complete, the Sniffter will turn itself off. Press any key on the
PC to exit the Sniffter Software Updater.
- Disconnect the cables and you're ready to go!
This Sniffter can now update other units in the field. To update one
Sniffter from another:
- Connect the serial ports on the Sniffters back-to-back with the black
cable (flipped 6-conductor).
- Turn on both Sniffters, and select "Update Sniffter SW" from
the main menu. Read the notice and press the right arrow on both to
- On the Sniffter with older software, press the right arrow to begin
the upgrade process.
Return to Sniffter support page.